Tam Giao Temple (meaning three traditional religions, including Taoism, Buddhism, and Confucianism), also known as Tam Giao Pagoda along with Nhi Thanh Grotto, is one of Lang’s eight beauty spots. Are. According to the documents that remain, this temple was established by Ngo Thi Si, the commander who administers Lang Son to worship the three special ones: Khong Tu (Confucius) from Taoism, Phat Thich Ca (Sakyamuni) from Buddhism, and Lao Tu (Lao- Tsé) of Confucianism.
In May 1779, Ngo Thi Si hired bricklayers to beautify the grotto area. The grotto on the left is high and has a better position on the ground; therefore, the Tam Giao temple was built on this land. The Nhi Thanh grotto below the pagoda is a natural rocky cave with a length of more than 500 meters from the main door to the back door and a lot of spectacular natural scenery. To the left of the grotto, a dragon was carved; Up on the right side of the grotto, a tiger was engraved. This disposition was affected by the Confucian thought “the green dragon on the left and the white tiger on the right”, which is correlative to the constellations of the east and west. On the opposite side of the grotto, Ngo Thi Si let people carve his statue in the stone; This statue is later highly valued as one of the works containing precious value in the fine arts at that time. Next to this relic area, there are 20 epitaphs that have been carved directly into the left stone; Those epitaphs recorded many valuable materials and were also the autograph books of famous contemporary scholars.
Annually, from the 15th to the 17th of the first lunar month, residents living around this region are eager to go on a pilgrimage to this temple to commemorate Ngo Thi Si, a culturally famous person who had merits in the establishment and development of the municipality of Lang Son. .